The beauty industry is driven by the wish to stay looking young and vast amounts of money are spent on hair and skin treatments, but what if our diet matters more than what we apply to the outside of our body?
The appearance or quality of our skin is influenced by many different factors. Without doubt genetics plays a part, but also important are the environmental factors including stress, age and toxin accumulation in the body.
In this article we’re going to be examining the effect that nutrition has on our skin, hair and nails.
What does liver contain that can improve skin, hair and nails?
Beef liver whole food supplements are rich in many nutrients that are important for the skin to maintain freshness and firmness. These include the following:
- Vitamin A: is a well established as a having a generative effect on the skin, resulting in a smooth surface and beautiful glow. Vitamin A accelerates skin cell regeneration and helps protect the skin, which makes it very important for maintaining healthy skin. It has been widely reported to help reduce acne and improve skin tone. Deficiencies in vitamin A can result in dry skin and hair loss. Liver contains high levels of vitamin A in a form that the body can easily digest.
- Vitamin B: is proven to be beneficial for skin and hair. The class of vitamin B called Biotin is the best known for it’s use in beauty products. It can help reduce the premature ageing effects caused by sunlight. Low levels of Biotin in the diet may cause fragile nails, peeling skin and thinning of hair. There are studies that suggest Biotin in combination with zinc can help prevent hair loss. Beef liver contains all B vitamins, as well as zinc
- Vitamin C: is used widely in cosmetics to improve skin elasticity and is necessary for the body to generate collagen. Vitamin C is well known for its antioxidant effects, which helps protect the skin from the sun’s UV radiation.
- Copper: is an element that is vital for healthy skin. Copper assists in the production of collagen and elastin, as well as promoting the production of hyaluronic acid, which all help reduce wrinkles and reduce sagging of the skin. Copper is regularly used in facial masks and creams to help accelerate the rate of recovery of the skin following laser facial treatments. Copper also helps maintain hair colour and delays graying, as the element is responsible for pigment in hair, skin and eyes. Beef liver and heart contains significant amounts of copper.
- Zinc: is vital for metabolism within cells, wound healing and also supports the immune system. Zinc helps repair skin damage and is used to treat acne, psoriasis and dermatitis.
- Lysine: is an essential amino acid and is essential in the production of collagen, which assists with maintaining a healthy skin structure. Lysine is also one of the building blocks of hair and may help reduce hair loss.
Why choose beef liver?
Liver contains many of the essential ingredients for healthy skin, hair and nails. Better still the combination of the vitamins and minerals found in beef liver work in a synergistic way to amplify the benefits.
There are also many other additional nutrients found in bovine liver that are known to have a good effect on the skin, including vitamin E, selenium, Q10, iron and fatty acids.
How quickly before I see the results?
In our experience it can take weeks or even months of taking beef liver supplement to clearly see the positive effects on the skin. The outer layer of our skin regenerates in about a month, but the lower layer (or epidermis) takes much longer.
The good news is that long before that you can expect other positive effects, including increased energy, better sleep and general vitality. Providing the body with high quality nutrition means it can get on with the job of repairing from within, including the skin, hair and nails.